Saturday, February 5, 2011

Merlin the Mage


Because I am dark, and always shall be,

let my book be dark and mysterious

in those places where I will not show myself.’

(Merlins Booke)

He has a high domed forehead,

a long white beard and white hair.

His eyes are blue, hooded, lentoid,

set deep in his head.

He wears a long white robe

which falls to the ground.



He carries a staff of Oak,

a golden sickle knife.

An Owl sits impassive

upon his shoulder.

A Serpent coils and twists

about his wrist.

Hist, he speaks,

here is the Boasting Song of the Merlin :



I am Merlin the Mage, Merlin the Magician

Merlin the Wise, Merlyn Emrys.

Merlin Sylvester, Caledonius.

Lord of the Animals.



I have stood upon the Hill of Maidens,

I have climbed the Mountain of the Mothers,

I have passed through the Valley of the Hags.



I have studied the herb lore of the Ancients,

I have learned the Alphabet of the Trees,

the Ogham of the Druids at my Fingertips.



I have spent the Great Year in study,

Nineteen times has the winter fled

since as a boy I was taken

to the Island of Mystery

for the learning of the Craft.



I have learned the three things

that bring glory to a poet:

a Knowledge of Histories,

the Poetic Art, and Old Verse.



I have lived with the Folk of the Quicken Tree,

learned the lore of the Passionate Mushroom,

I have Travelled the Path beneath the Fern,

seen where the Unicorn frolics.



I have followed the Songlines of our Green Hills,

the Ridgeway, the Long Straight Track,

from Crag to Cranny to Cavern,

from Standing Stone to Sacred Well.

from Perilous Ford to Fair Fountain.

The history writ in the face of the land.



I have walked the Winding Pathway

through the Hollow Hills.

I have heard the singing of the Crystal Cave

I have felt the pull of the fiery Heart of the Earth



I have searched for the Dragons Egg.

I have crossed over into the Otherworld,

descended the gnarled roots of the World Tree.

in quest of the Dark Ones.



I have walked the Radiant Way

the Shining Bridge,the Sword Bridge,

unto the Fair Vale of Avilion.



Island of Apples, Fortunate Isle.

Where live the Ladies of the Lake,

Vivianne, her chief Maiden Nimue,

and nine damsels whose breath

warms the Cauldron of Inspiration.



I have plunged the Fire Sword

into the Cauldron

and brought it forth tempered.

I have played my Harp

in the Castle of the Waves

and heard it echo back to me.



I have learned the three Strains of Melody:

the Strain of Tears, the Strain of Laughter,

and the Strain of Sleep which brings Mercy,

for in the Great Music we glimpse Eternity.



I have gained the Wisdom of the Oak,

Oldest Tree, Throne of the Summer King.

Listened to the voices in the rustle of the leaves.

I have known of Esus, All Heal,

Mistletoe, cut by moonlight, with sickle knife.



I have threaded the Sacred Maze,

Sunwise, Deosil and Widdershins,

Sky Clad, following the scent

to the White Hart of the Goddess.



I have made a Sacred Fountain

deep in the Forest of Broceliande

to heal the hopeless, helpless love of

Trystan and his aunt, Essyllt White Neck .



I have trod the Path of the Stations of the Sun

Samhain, the Great Sacrifice. Festival of the Dead

Imbolc, In the Womb, Festival of Candles.

Beltane, the Green Man, Festival of Fertility.

Lughnasad, Harvest Queen, Festival of Fullness.



I have quested for the Court of the Fisher King,

at a White Tower in a White Land,

I have sought the Damsels of the Wells

in Ferny Brake and Verdant Dell.



I have learned the Seven Degrees of Wisdom.

I have seen the Seven Rays of Light.

I have dwelt in the Castle of the High Powers,

The Fortress of the Fferydd in Snowdonia.

I have held aloft the Lantern of Hope and Desire.



I have spoken to the Oldest Amimals:

Salmon, Eagle, Owl and Stag.

I have made my way to the heart

of the Ancient Forests and

learned from the Trees,

the Lore of Wood Wisdom.





I have Drunk the Blood of the slain White Bull

slept beside the waterfall.

Dreamed upon the flayed bulls hide

spread upon wattles of Rowan.

I have dreamed the Prophetic Dream.



I can Scry in Water and in Fire,

in Crystal and in Cloud,

I have Seen what has Been,

What Is, and what Will Be.

I have learned the Language of Birds.

I know how to read the Auguries of the Earth



I can cast the Spells of Air,

the Hedge of Mist,

the Veil of Concealment,

I know the Cantrips of Earth,

the Bonds of Heaviness

the Entwining Growth



the Charms of Water I can Murmur

the Swamp,the Mere,the Flooding Ford

All Waters Flow to Avalon in the End.

the Curse of Fire I Invoke,

the Bale Fire, the Dire Flame,

the Fire that Cleanses.



I Know the Powers of the Skull,

the Head that Speaks

and sometimes Screams.

the Severed Head,

the Brazen Head,

the Polished Skull of Prophecy.



I have made the Fence of Ghosts,

the Ghost Warriors that live Forever,

their Skulls impaled on Stakes.

let He that would be a Head

Be a Bridge.



I have Ridden the Dragons Flight,

The Silver and the Gold,

the Green and the Bronze.

Through the Starlit Spaces

of the Otherworld.



I have been taken by the Awen,

the Pure Stream of Inspiration,

I have Floated in the Primal Sea

I have felt the Heartbeat of the Mother

I have been at One with the All.



I have walked in the path of the Great White Brotherhood.

Dwelt in Agharti deep beneath the White Mountains,

Studied in Shambhala at the Lodge of Enlightenment,

Spoken with the Hairy Ones of the Slopes.

Learned the Book of the Dead.



I have seen the future in the stars

revolving in my Dreaming Tower

foretold the Terrors to Come, and

the Commencement of Marvels.



I have held the Wand of Elder,

the tinkling bells ashake with every breath.

I have eaten the nuts of the Hazel,

the Nucleus of Knowledge



I have worn the Green Robe,

Won the Blue Robe, as a Bard.

Now I am robed in White,

the Sum of all Colours

I am a Druid.



I am Merlin.

I have received the Fruits of the Earth,

drunk from the Horn of Plenty.

eaten from the Platter of Abundance,

held the Sheaf of Corn on High.

Young girls with flowers in their hair

Dance barefoot.

No comments: